Raising Cancer Awareness
Cancer is a common condition; it is the second commonest cause of death in East Lancashire. Many deaths could be prevented by early diagnosis. National Public Health data demonstrates a strong link between the late presentation of cancer symptoms and areas of high deprivation.
The Health Improvement Service has been commissioned to co-ordinate the “Communities against Cancer” Project across East Lancashire.
The Project’s main objectives are:-
- To raise awareness and educate people about earlier recognition of the symptoms of breast, bowel and lung cancer.
- To reach 80% of the adult population in East Lancashire over the next 3 years.
- To contribute to the early presentation of symptoms of breast, bowel and lung cancer in Primary Care, leading to reduction in related mortality rates.
- To contribute to reducing health inequalities in East Lancashire by identifying and, as a priority, targeting groups who are at highest risk of contracting these cancers, and who are least likely to present with symptoms.
- To optimize opportunities to deliver messages through existing networks, groups, partners, staff and volunteers to achieve a whole community approach.
Key Areas of Work
The project aims to address health inequalities using community development approaches both to raise awareness of the need for change and to enable communities to lead the change supported by professionals and key community members.
Locality teams comprising of over 40 trained community volunteers and partners have been established in each of the 5 districts of East Lancashire. Each team works within its targeted area to engage with members of the community to raise awareness of cancer signs and symptoms, to encourage early presentation at GP surgeries
and to promote uptake of screening programmes.
Bowel Cancer Signs and Symptoms
Breast Cancer Signs and Symptoms / Be Breast Aware
Lung Cancer Signs and Symptoms
Volunteering with Communities against Cancer
For all related enquiries please contact:
Health Improvement Specialist
P: Health Improvement Service | Hyndburn Locality Offices | Accrington Victoria Community Hospital | Haywood Road | Accrington | BB5 6AS
T: 01254 358026