Annually there are approximately 25,000 excess winter deaths
Campaign urges practical steps to keep well especially people vulnerable to health conditions made worse by cold
A national campaign to help people in Lancashire prepare for winter weather has been launched today by NHS England and Public Health England. The message is to Stay Well This Winter and to encourage people most at risk from cold weather, including those with long-term health conditions and the over 65s, to prepare for the lower temperatures.
Around 25,000 more people die over the course of each winter compared to other times of the year and there are a range of conditions worsened by the cold weather - 80 per cent of these deaths are accounted for by people with circulatory diseases (such as heart disease, lung illnesses and stroke), dementia and respiratory diseases (such as asthma).
Exposure to cold indoor or outdoor temperatures increases blood pressure, thereby increasing the risk of heart failure, kidney disease, stroke or dementia. Cold temperatures can also make blood more likely to clot, which can lead to heart attacks and stroke. In addition, cold can also affect the respiratory system, which reduces the lung's ability to fight off infection explaining why lower temperatures are linked with bronchitis and pneumonia.
Colder weather is not only associated with an increase in deaths but also has a significant impact on the number of people becoming ill, increasing the winter pressures felt by the health care services. Research shows that for every one degree centigrade drop below five degrees in outdoor average temperatures, there is more than a 10 per cent increase in older people consulting their GP for breathing problems, a 0.8 per cent increase in emergency hospital admissions and a 3.4 per increase in deaths.
The campaign messages, which includes TV, radio and social media, urge people to be ready for the colder season and to seek immediate advice and help from a pharmacist as soon as they feel unwell, before their condition gets more serious.
Professor Keith Willett, Medical Director for Acute Care at NHS England said:
"The NHS is here to help but there are important things we can all do to take care of ourselves during the winter months. It is vital that the most vulnerable people take preventative steps to keep healthy and stay well. We have a high number of A&E attendances over this time that are due to issues which could have been avoided had people sought advice at the first sign of illness.
"We are urging people to take practical steps such as to wrap up warm before the temperature dial hits freezing. Research shows even at above freezing temperatures, for every one degree centigrade drop below five degrees, there is a resulting increase in older people consulting their GP for breathing problems, as well as an increase in deaths.”
Experts are also advising people to heat their homes to at least 18°C (65°F) and to look out for those at increased risk of illness over the winter months. Cold and damp homes can contribute to poor mental health and social isolation, which are also key factors in increased winter deaths and disease. One study showed that residents of the 25 per cent coldest homes have around a 20 per cent greater risk of dying during the winter months than those in the warmest homes.
Professor Paul Cosford, Director for Health Protection and Medical Director at Public Health England said:
“Throughout the cold weather, looking out for yourself and others is essential to keeping healthy. With winter on the way, now is a good time to make sure you, and those you know who may be particularly at risk from the cold, are as prepared as possible. If you qualify for the free flu jab, get it now. Also remember that eating a healthy, balanced diet and that staying physically active can keep you healthy.
“There are a variety of ways you can apply for help to keep your house warm, such as Winter Fuel Payments, Warm Home Discounts and Cold Weather Payments. If you meet the criteria, register for priority service with your energy and water suppliers.
“Try to maintain indoor temperatures to at least 18°C (65°F), particularly if you find it hard to get around, have a long-term illness or are 65 or over. You may prefer your living room to be slightly warmer. Make sure your gas, solid fuel and oil burning appliances are serviced by a registered engineer so that they are working effectively and safely before the winter sets in. If we all look out for each other this winter we can really make a difference.”
Meteorologist and weather presenter Lucy Verasamy is also supporting the campaign. Lucy said:
"Cold weather narrows the blood vessels. This is why we see an increase in things like heart attacks over winter months. There are also other practical dangers when the weather gets cold such as icy pavements, which lead to an increase in slips and falls, particularly amongst the elderly. I’m supporting the Stay Well This Winter campaign because I really believe in raising awareness of the small steps we can take to look after ourselves and others when the mercury drops."
News By Month
- Oct 2019 >
- Changes to mental health services in Cumbria
- New Director of Nursing and Quality joins Lancashire Care
- Second year student nurses offered jobs at local NHS Trust
- Diabetes service in Lancashire shortlisted for national award
- National NHS body visits Lancashire Care
- Improvement Partnership with Northumberland Tyne and Wear
- Community event on persistent pain
- Lancashire Care’s Annual Members’ Meeting and Membership Conference 2019
- Aug 2019 >
- Lancashire Care celebrated achieving Phase 1 Triangle of Care
- Friends and Family recommend Lancashire Care
- Lancashire Care Receives Altro Design Award
- Lancashire Care receives prestigious North West Financial Award
- Community Restart Team shortlisted for the Nursing Times Awards 2019
- NHS Parliamentary Awards
- Blackburn with Darwen Celebrates Breastfeeding as UNICEF ‘Baby Friendly’ status renewed
- Health worker shortlisted for Celebrating Young People Awards 2019
- Aiming to walk 1 million steps to raise money for diabetes charity
- Take a breather from smoking during Breathe Easy Week
- Look after your own health and those of your children on Father’s Day
- Father’s Day Support
- Mental health partnership is a success!
- Lancashire Care Peer Support Group shortlisted for the National Diversity Awards!
- Health worker invited to meet the Queen at Buckingham Palace
- Redesign of CAMHS services
- Health and care partnership responds to review of urgent mental health services across Lancashire and South Cumbria
- Grimsargh nurse awarded prestigious Queen's Nurse title
- Love your lungs and give up smoking on World No Tobacco Day
- Blackburn with Darwen nurse awarded prestigious Queen’s Nurses title
- Dementia Action Week 2019
- Support during Action for Brain Injury Week 2019
- Lancashire Care and partners shortlisted for the Design in Mental Health Awards 2019
- Support this Mental Health Awareness Week 2019
- PNE footballer opens multi-purpose pitch at Guild Lodge
- Lancashire Care receives National Go Award!
- Protecting children from secondhand smoke
- Stop smoking support during Ramadan
- Lancashire Care shortlisted for prestigious international award
- Baby Massage
- Specialist support for mums in Lancashire and South Cumbria during Maternal Mental Health Week
- Social Support Hub launching for people living in Lancaster and Morecambe
- Support available for people to stress less!
- Free courses to improve health and wellbeing in Central Lancashire
- New Chief Executive joins Lancashire Care!
- Fylde Coast Memory Assessment Team are number 1 in the country!
- Lancashire Care shortlisted for the National Go Awards 2019
- Celebrating a year of achievements!
- District Nurses given Amazing Care award by people of Lancashire!
- Everyone can do their bit to make a TB-free world
- Lancashire Older Adults Team shortlisted for HSJ Value Awards 2019
- Apprenticeships at Lancashire Care
- Fylde Coast Dementia Research Success
- Heather Tierney-Moore, Chief Executive shares her experience of mobilising a brand new Specialist Perinatal Mental Health Service
- Criminal Justice Liaison and Diversion Service
- Lancashire Type 2 Diabetes Course Desmond wins Team of the Year Award
- Peer support workers wanted to help people with mental illness and substance misuse issues
- Star Nurse Diane
- Central Lancashire Moving Well Service
- Fylde Coast Dementia Research Success
- HARRY's Kick Start at Deepdale
- HARRY is visiting UCLan
- Smoke Free Sidelines
- Lancashire Care partnership shortlisted for the HSJ Partnership Awards 2019
- Helpline Support this Blue Monday
- Launch of Specialist Community Perinatal Mental Health Service for mums in Lancashire and South Cumbria
- The Wellbeing and Mental Health Helpline needs your help!
- Working in Psynergy
- Dec 2018 >
- Lancashire Care ranked number 3 in NHS Trust’s Top 50 UK employers!
- One week left to vote for the Amazing Care Award 2019!
- It’s never too late to quit
- Amazing Care Award 2019
- World Diabetes Day 2018
- Give HIV the finger
- Perinatal Mental Health Mother and Baby Unit (MBU) and Outreach Service now launched!
- Support Military Veterans this Bonfire Night
- Mindsmatter support during Movember 2018
- Diabetes training sessions to be held at Blackpool Central Library
- NHS service receives ‘good’ accreditation by country’s leading health and social care regulator
- Service User and Carer Mental Health Listening Events in Lancashire and South Cumbria
- New Zonal Engagement and Observations for Patients with Dementia
- Lancashire Care receives prestigious award at the Allocate Awards 2018
- Lancashire Care’s Older Adults Team receives Prestigious National Award
- Lancashire Care’s IT systems achieve international accreditation
- Service User and Carer Mental Health Listening Events in Lancashire and South Cumbria
- Support this World Mental Health Day 2018
- Support for young people this World Mental Health Day
- Stress control course for pregnant women and new mothers
- NHS pain service joint second place for national award
- Sept 2018 >
- World Sepsis Day 2018
- Lancashire Care receives award for its support to people who have served in the armed forces
- Lancashire Care doctor shortlisted for prestigious national award
- Lancashire Care shortlisted for the Positive Practice in Mental Health Awards 2018
- Lancashire Care shortlisted for Nursing Times Workforce Awards
- Lancashire Care’s Annual Members’ Meeting (AMM) and Membership Conference 2018
- Join breastfeeding mothers for the Big Latch On
- Trust clinician leads on launch of new guidelines
- NHS pain service shortlisted for national award
- International #HelloMyNameIs day
- Launch of the Lancashire Person Record Exchange Service (LPRES)
- Lancashire Care supports new NHS Smokefree Pledge
- Lancashire Care awarded ‘Best Place to Work’
- New Civica Cito System
- Lancashire Care nurse wins prestigious national award for work with children with learning disabilities and autism
- Lancashire Care shortlisted for three Employers Network for Equality and Inclusion (enei) Awards
- Diabetes Awareness this Summer
- Practicing safe sex this summer
- Lancashire Care shortlisted for Nursing Times Awards
- Lancashire Care shortlisted for Nursing Times Awards!
- Community Restart shortlisted for Nursing Times Awards
- Jun 2018 >
- Keeping children safe at home and outside
- Give up smoking on World No Tobacco Day
- CQC Reports & Rating Published for Lancashire Care
- Lancashire nurse awarded Queen’s Nurse title
- NIHR Lancashire Clinical Research Facility partnership shortlisted for an award!
- Wildlife Project to improve young people’s mental health!
- Lancashire Care selected to run a Perinatal Service in the community
- Get The Research Bug!
- Ramadan is the ideal time to quit tobacco
- People with diabetes fasting in Ramadan encouraged to do so safely
- New integrated musculoskeletal service in Lancashire
- Mindsmatter support available following tragic suicide in Coronation Street episode
- Innovative pilot project enables children with learning disabilities and autism to receive support earlier
- Pain Clinic Plus celebrates 10-year anniversary
- Lancashire Care working together with local council to improve the local work force of tomorrow
- Lancashire Care staff member shortlisted for prestigious national award for work with children with learning disabilities and autism
- Supporting carers to be able to care!
- Oak House is now officially open
- Working together to beat dementia!
- Lancashire Human Resources Department leading the way at annual staff awards ceremony!!
- Lancashire Care Consultant invited to be part of Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) group at Westminster!
- Mar 2018 >
- Nursing Associate Apprenticeship Programme
- People with Type 2 diabetes encouraged to educate themselves
- Lancashire Care up for three awards at prestigious national awards!
- Look out for vulnerable relatives and neighbours this winter
- Beating compulsive behaviour on OCD Week of Action
- Help us to shape Perinatal Mental Health Services in Lancashire
- Diabetes care in central Lancashire rated outstanding
- Working in partnership is the secret to success!
- Health and Housing Team Up to Improve Local Community
- Make it safe on Valentine’s Day
- Awards ceremony held to thank participants in innovative national research study
- Importance of sexual health highlighted during LGBT History Month
- Lancashire Care’s partnership with GE Healthcare shortlisted in the HSJ Awards 2018
- Commitment to Research
- Time to Talk about Wellbeing at Work Conference 2018
- One week left to vote for the winner of the Amazing Care Award 2018!
- Volunteer with Lancashire Care wins national award
- Young footballers given mental health training at the Clarets
- Mental health support on Blue Monday
- Lancashire Care’s innovative partnership with Home Group shortlisted in the HSJ Awards 2018
- Myplace Project wins award Prestigious Mental Health Awards Ceremony for Children and Young People!
- Community Mental Health Survey 2018
- Lancashire Care’s pledge to provide opportunities for Military Veterans seeking employment
- Vote for the winner of the Amazing Care Award 2018!
- The Wellbeing and Mental Health Listening Helpline is advertising for volunteers!
- New National Campaign highlights poisons from tar in cigarettes
- National STI Day on 14 January 2018
- Lancashire Care has been shortlisted for the iNetwork Innovation Awards
- Specialist perinatal service appoints new manager!
- Christmas carol treat at Longridge Hospital
- Compulsory sex education in schools in England is a positive move
- Don’t get more than you bargained for after a night out
- Mental wellbeing during the Christmas festive period
- Prevent yourself from falling this winter
- Criminal Justice Liaison and Diversion Service's Wellbeing Programme Success!
- Give children the gift of healthy lungs this Christmas
- Lancashire Care ranked number 3 in NHS Trust’s Top 50 UK employers
- Lancashire Care awarded Disability Confident Employer Status
- Lancashire Care awarded for innovation in mental health services
- Do you feel like life has shown you a red card? Contact Goal Difference
- NIHR Lancashire Clinical Research Facility is now officially open!
- One week left to vote for the Amazing Care Award 2017!
- Your chance to represent the views of North Lancashire and South Cumbria!
- Exciting opportunity for families with babies to take part in study
- Help stamp out HIV on World Aids Day
- State of the art technology on show to deaf children in East Lancashire
- NIHR Lancashire Clinical Research Facility Official Launch
- Mental Health Decision Unit
- Opportunity Knocks 2017!
- 100 days without pressure sores at Lancashire Care hospital
- World Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Day
- Get tested for HIV during National HIV Testing Week
- Lancashire Care ranked Top Performer in recent sample around reducing agency spend
- World Diabetes Day 2017
- Don’t slip up, put your best foot forward!
- Your chance to represent the views of your local area
- Dedicated Volunteer wins Volunteer of the Year Award!
- Amazing Care Award!
- Lancashire Care list in the top 50 UK employers!
- Bonfire Night support for Military Veterans!
- PEN Project Success!
- Stress Awareness Day 2017
- Help at hand for people with diabetes in Chorley
- His Royal Highness Prince Harry meets young people on the Myplace project at Brockholes
- New report links volunteering in nature with better mental health
- Lancashire secures two awards at Prestigious National Awards
- Lancashire Care wins College of Mental Health Pharmacy Award
- Mindsmatter service offers free relaxation taster sessions in Lancashire
- Lancashire Care has been shortlisted for the Excellence in Diversity Awards!
- Disabled Go!
- People with diabetes urged to opt for healthier curries during National Curry Week
- Leyland Health Mela
- International Walk to School Month
- New reflective space for patients at the Scarisbrick Unit
- Rigby Suite at Royal Preston Hospital
- Tablet technology success on Older Adults Wards
- Chorley Health Mela a success
- New sexual health clinic in Nelson and Colne College
- Hypoglycaemia Awareness Week
- World Mental Health Day Celebration
- Members Conference and Annual Members Meeting (AMM)
- Not smoking could help students save money
- Half Marathon for Grow Your Own Project
- World Mental Health Day Football Tournament 2017
- Acute Therapy Service shortlisted for prestigious HSJ Award!
- Let’s talk porn!
- Lifelong smoker aged 40 gives up and enters boxing ring for first fight
- Electronic Patient Record (EPR) System
- Summer Fayre
- When schools reopen, keep children safe on our roads
- Novel idea to instil confidence among young people with Autism
- Local Helpline needs you!
- Smoking while pregnant increases the risk to your unborn baby
- New Mindsmatter group for people suffering from chronic pain in Blackburn and Burnley
- Support available for Military Veterans'
- Health Visitors Week 21-25 August
- Health Professionals get a taste of the Myplace project
- If you’re a nurse looking to embark on a new challenge, Lancashire Care could be just what you’re looking for!
- Specialist unit for mothers experiencing mental illness set to open in Lancashire
- Lancashire Care at the Royal College of Nursing (RCN) Jobs Fair
- Employers can do more to encourage breastfeeding at work
- Call for British South Asian Mothers for Study on Postnatal low mood
- Lancashire Care tops national NHS league table on research
- Keep children safe and active over the summer holidays
- Two shortlists for prestigious national award in mental health
- Improving Mental Health Services in Lancashire - Next Phase Agreed
- New venues for diabetes clinics in Lancashire
- Unique partnership to encourage breastfeeding in Lancashire
- The Chorley Community Wellbeing Service
- Myplace project at The Chorley Flower Show
- Lord Carter visits innovative antibiotics home service in Lancashire
- Arkwright Crisis Support Unit
- Join the social media campaign to stamp out hepatitis on World Hepatitis Day
- 50 years on since the Pill became freely available to all women in the UK
- Practice safe sex this summer
- Still time to return to nursing!
- School nurses play a huge role in helping young people
- Join our reader panel!
- Launch Event to Open Lancaster’s New Under 25 Sexual Health Clinic
- Wildlife project is great for young people’s health
- Ten years on since ban on smoking in enclosed public spaces in England
- Nurseries encouraged to support women who wish to return to work or study and continue to breastfeed
- Heatwave Health Advice
- Take Steps to Improve Your Sexual Health during Men’s Health Week
- Mindsmatter Support During Men’s Health Week 2017
- Cervical screening is a must
- Take a breather from smoking during Breathe Easy Week
- Improved provision of child and adolescent mental health services in Lancashire and Cumbria
- Working to deliver sterling community services in Southport and Formby
- Willow House is now officially open
- Trust selected to run a new perinatal unit
- Conference held to drive quality improvement in healthcare delivery
- Mental health worker shortlisted for prestigious award!
- Win a rare signed Burnley FC top at Mindsmatter raffle
- What people could do to ensure children remain safe
- Use World No Tobacco Day to give up on smoking and chewing
- Health Trust working in partnership with local GP Practice to provide community mental health service
- How to help children emotionally deal with Manchester terror attack
- Mental wellbeing advice: Following incident at Manchester Arena
- New sexual health clinic opens in Lancaster
- Ramadan is the perfect time to quit tobacco
- Lancashire Care marks Equality, Diversity and Human Rights Week 2017
- Mental Health Awareness Week Events 2016
- Dementia Awareness Week 2017
- Spring – the season of new beginnings
- Apr 2017 >
- Local Helpline here to support during Stress Awareness Month
- Trust listed for prestigious national awards
- New sexual health clinic opens in Morecambe
- Celebrating improved access to healthcare for more than 1 million young people
- Community project needs your help
- Local Health Trust launches new innovative system
- Mindsmatter Support this Mother’s Day
- Standardised packaging to be compulsory starting May 2017
- Learning Disability service improvement project
- Challenging stigma around TB on World TB Day
- Health staff celebrating their achievements
- New programme to get children in BwD off to the best start in life
- If you have diabetes then look after your kidneys
- New sexual health clinic to open in Morecambe
- Take expert help to quit on No Smoking Day
- LCIA Test Bed successfully installs technology in 100 homes
- Nutrition and Hydration Week
- Empowering women on International Women’s Day
- Open day for qualified and soon to be qualified nurses
- Puppy in training to help children with learning disabilities and autism
- Eating Disorders Awareness Week 2017
- Local Rotary Club makes donation to older adults with Dementia on the Fylde Coast
- Consultant Psychiatrist in Lancashire wins regional award
- Health organisations on the Fylde Coast are joining forces to ensure that older people are receiving the best care
- If sex is on the cards thisValentine’s Day, make it safe
- Running Matters
- Trust to launch legal services database to cut spending on legal fees
- Local Trust appoints new Non-Executive Director
- This Stylist Listens Project
- Sexual Health needs to be prioritised during LGBT History Month
- Psychiatrist with the Trust appointed chair on prestigious national committee
- Children centres in Lancashire secure international UNICEF award with help from Lancashire Care
- Community Mental Health Survey 2017
- Helping People to be ‘Appy’
- Health professionals back Cervical Cancer Prevention Week
- Older people are receiving ‘high quality care’ in local inpatient mental health wards
- Blue Monday Support
- Less than a week to go to vote for the winner of the People’s Choice Award 2017!
- Lancashire Care Receives Good Care Quality Commission (CQC) Rating
- National STI Day on 14 January 2017
- The Wellbeing and Mental Health Helpline needs volunteers!
- Improve Your Sexual Health in 2017
- MyPlace project to help young people in Lancashire
- Managing diabetes during Christmas and New Year
- Vote for the winner of the People’s Choice Award 2017!
- Cook safe during Christmas and New Year
- Military Veterans urged to get support over Christmas
- Be aware of second hand smoke during Christmas
- Don’t get more than you bargained for after a night out!
- Bipolar UK Christmas Donation at The Orchard
- Look after your mental wellbeing this Christmas time
- LCIA Test Bed recruits first patient
- The Wellbeing and Mental Health Helpline is here to support during the festive period
- Join Our Health Our Care in shaping your NHS
- New Lancashire Mental Health Service Offers A&E Alternative
- Dispel stigma around HIV and AIDS on World Aids Day
- Royal College of Psychiatrists Awards Success
- Lancashire Clinical Research Facility Awarded Prestigious Funding
- One Week Left To Vote For The Peoples Choice Award 2017
- Commitment to work collaboratively in Southport and Formby
- Trust’s Life-Changing Donations to Charity Dogs for Good
- Get tested for HIV
- Awards for Lancashire Care on World Diabetes Day
- New NHS community services provider announced
- Lancashire Care is looking to grow its nursing workforce!
- Sexual Health Clinics in North Lancashire
- Sexual Health Clinics in West Lancashire
- Sexual Health Clinics in East Lancashire
- Sexual Health Clinics in Central Lancashire
- National NHS campaign launches in Lancashire urging people to stay well this winter
- Movember Geocache Walk
- Nominate a team, individual or service who you feel should be recognised for their hard work and determination
- Quit smoking during Mouth Cancer Action Month
- Celebrating Occupational Therapy Japanese Style!
- People’s Choice Award 2017
- Support Military Veterans this Bonfire Night
- Therapeutic artwork exhibition
- Lancashire Care secures wins in Prestigious National Awards
- Road Safety a Priority during International Walk to School Month
- Opting for healthier options during National Curry Week
- Launch of Child and Adolescent Learning Disability Service
- Hypo Awareness Week celebrations
- Local helpline here to support as part of World Mental Health Day (WMHD) 2016
- Mindsmatter Psychological Therapies for People Living with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Military Veterans advised to seek support as part of World Mental Health Day 2016
- East Lancashire peer support for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Local Mindsmatter Service raising awareness for World Mental Health Day 2016
- Health Visitors Week 26-30 September
- Sexual health clinic opens in Fleetwood
- How will you quit this Stoptober?
- Local residents invited to World Mental Health Day event at Turf Moor
- Breastfeeding is natural and should be the norm
- Bay Health and Care Partners Pledge Bright Future for Health Across Morecambe Bay
- Homes are now the main source of exposure to second hand smoke for children
- Tree of Discovery Commended by National Charity
- Lancashire Care shortlisted for prestigious national awards
- World Alzheimer’s Month
- Students can quit smoking and save money
- The Wellbeing and Mental Health Helpline saved my life
- Easy access to online porn causing sexual health problems
- Front Room on Tour
- Mindsmatter Silver Cloud
- Lancashire Care ranked among top 50 UK employers
- Smokers with diabetes urged to self-refer themselves to the Quit Squad
- Student nurses welcome to attend careers event
- Lancashire Mental Health Provision - Update
- Front Room on Tour!
- The Wellbeing and Mental Health Helpline is looking for volunteers
- Dementia work in Lancashire is ‘Fabulous’
- New system to enable people with long term conditions to remain well at home
- Have you thought about a career as a school nurse?
- Pregnant Smokers Encouraged to Quit Smoking
- The Wellbeing and Mental Health Helpline is encouraging people who are experiencing low mood or distress to get in touch
- Sexual Health Service receives Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Quality Mark
- Senior Clinical Psychologist with Trust has Chapter Published
- Lancashire Care Shortlisted in Three Categories in Prestigious National Awards
- World Hepatitis Day 2016
- Nurseries Urged to Support Breastfeeding Mothers Returning to Work
- Mindsmatter support for students during exam results
- Military Veterans’ Service here to support
- Pledge to make a difference in lives of people with dementia
- Heatwave Advice
- Improvements to be made at The Harbour after local Healthwatch listen to service users
- Quit Squad help during Eid
- How are you today?
- Calling All Nurses!
- Armed Forces Day
- Student nurse wins prestigious national award for outstanding achievement
- “I’ve played a part in helping people make healthy choices for their future.”
- Celebrate Breastfeeding Week
- Helpline available for support
- Mindsmatter support for people with diabetes
- Men’s Health Week 2016
- Celebration for Carers
- Help at hand for people with diabetes who are fasting in Ramadan
- Help available for Eating Disorders
- World No Tobacco Day 2016
- Employers can support breastfeeding mums
- Online form improves access to Mindsmatter
- Volunteer with Lancashire Care secures prestigious award
- Mayor praises efforts of mental health café during celebrations
- Dementia pub and café open in Lancashire
- Parents can do wonders in preventing tooth decay and gum disease in children
- International Clinical Trials Day
- International Nurses Day 2016
- Action for Brain Injury Week
- Plans for dementia pub in Lancashire
- Secondhand smoke has huge impact on children’s health
- Smoking increases risk of strokes and heart attacks
- One Week to Go! Mental Health Awareness Week 2016
- Cycle against Stigma
- Help at hand for people with debilitating illness
- Unhappy childhood experiences impact health and wellbeing later in life
- Lancashire Care's Infant Feeding Team secures international UNICEF award
- Soapy Suds cleans up at awards!
- Live Healthy Gain Extra Time
- School girls encouraged to vaccinate against HPV
- Pupils and parents encouraged to hop on their bikes and get healthy
- Don`t suffer in silence
- Seeking help is a sign of strength
- Mental Health Awareness Week 2016
- Blackpool NHS worker given prestigious award for achievements
- NHS worker given prestigious award for compassionately caring for patients
- Teenage volunteer named Lancashire High Sheriffâ€™s Young Citizen of the Year
- Staff Awards Celebrations 2016
- New messaging service for young people to access school nurses
- Lancashire Care NHS Foundation Trust shortlisted for national FFT awards
- Learning from Mistakes â€“ Lancashire Care Rated Good
- Take expert help to quit smoking on No Smoking Day
- New and improved access to Mindsmatter!
- Lancashire residents encouraged to share breastfeeding experiences
- Feb 2016 >
- Jan 2016 >
- Help for Military Vets this Christmas 2015
- Stamp out the cigarettes this New Year
- Think Positive: Rethink HIVÂ Â
- A listening ear for the festive season
- Help for the Festive Season
- New Trust Governors
- Christmas Cooking Code
- Dry January
- Positive sexual health this Christmas
- Real men grow beards
- Drink Driving â€“ Do you know the facts?
- Take action against sugar
- Peerfest 2015
- Three steps to stopping smoking
- Lancashire Nurse recognised by Nightingale of the North Awards
- Mindsmatter in East Lancashire
- Road safety this winter
- Stay Well This Winter
- Mental Health unit awarded for design
- If in doubt, get checked out
- Students in Lancashire vote Trust tutor as best!
- Start Each Day Right
- Alcohol â€“ Whatâ€™s the harm?
- Community inpatient unit in Longridge labelled â€˜Wonderfulâ€™ by patients
- Support available for military veterans
- Quit Squad helping pregnant women to stop smoking
- Rapid Intervention and Treatment Team for Older Adults in East Lancashire
- The Harbour Official Opening
- Health Trust continues to Support Local Charity
- Peopleâ€™s Choice Awards 2016 â€“ One Week Left!
- Lancashire Care making improvements following CQC inspectionÂ
- Quit Squad here to help you all year round!
- Lancashire Hair get involved in Movember!
- School Nurses needed!
- Social worker commended for giving service users and their families a voice!
- Peoples Choice Awards 2016
- Join Us!
- Will you quit for two?
- Lancashireâ€™s Stop Smoking Service is here for you!
- Lancashire health trust nominated for international Dementia award!
- Positive Practice nomination for North Lancashire social worker
- Smoking Banned in Cars
- Get to Goa
- Self-Help for Self-Injury resource receives national recognition
- Stop Smoking with the support of a celebrity!
- 'This is me' Dementia tool launched in Lancashire
- PNE players supporting public Dementia event!
- Celebrity 'Lock In' for Students in Lancashire
- Improving Patient and Public Involvement is Key!
- Circles of support for people living with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Helpline available for students
- Goal Difference
- World Suicide Prevention Day 2015
- Sexual Health Awareness Week 2015
- Sign up for Dryathlon today!
- Leyland Health Mela 2015
- Lancashire Care appoints new member to its Trust Board
- World Alzheimer's Month
- Children & parents reminded to 'Stop, Look and Listen!'
- Adolescent Inpatient Unit is Accredited with Excellence!
- Mindsmatter in St Helens 2015
- Health workers recognised as Care Makers
- Trust Recruiting New Chair
- Contract Win for Lancashire Care
- We Need You!
- Pastels Artwork Put On Display
- Teenage Pregnancy at an all-time low in Burnley!
- SilverCloud launch to help ease low mood
- Swap the Sugar this Summer
- Quit Squad on hand to help
- Be Involved!
- Staying Active during the summer break
- World Hepatitis Day
- A day at Downing Street
- Team awarded national accreditation
- Quit Squad here to help during Ramadan
- Be Clear on Cancer
- Lung Cancer Awareness Month
- Research Nurses hold national dementia research conference
- Dogs for the Disabled
- Chief Executive becomes the first Macmillan Alumni Patron
- Jun 2015 >
- May 2015 >
- Take a Google Tour at The Harbour
- Over 50 years' NHS service
- Goal Difference!
- Don't suffer in silence
- Lancashire Care awarded contract for Liverpool prisons
- No need to lose Sleepio!
- Preston Health Mela
- The Big Bowel Roadshow is coming to town
- Staff Awards Celebrations 2015
- Increased healthcare support at police stations and courts
- Mar 2015 >
- Eating Disorder Awareness Week
- New laws will make it illegal to smoke in private vehicles carrying children
- Successful Open Day at The Harbour
- Last chance to vote for the winner of the People's Choice Award!
- Launch of new talking therapies service for Lancashire
- The Harbour Open Day
- Quit Squad on hand to help smokers
- Local Nurse set to help out in Africa
- Lancashire Care supports the "Hello my name is..." campaign
- Vote for the winner of the People's Choice Award!
- Jan 2015 >
- Stay safe during party season!
- Top Tips for a Stress Free Festive Season
- Top Tips for a Stress Free Festive Season!
- Stay safe during party season
- A helping hand for parents
- A listening ear during the festive period
- The Harbour Key Ceremony - December 2014
- HIV Awareness
- Eating Disorder Services
- The Harbour is Recruiting!
- Mouth Cancer Action Month
- The Harbour Key Ceremony
- Lancashire diabetes course receives award after engaging ethnic communities
- Lancashire leads North West Stoptober sign-up
- Success at the Positive Practice Awards
- Stress Awareness Day
- Alcohol Awareness Week
- World Diabetes Day
- Nursing Times Awards 2014 Winners
- Contact Centre Hero
- Children's Mental Health Taskforce
- People's Choice Award
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Innovative new flu vaccine comes to Lancashire
- World Mental Health Day
- Community Cafe set to open at The Harbour
- People's Choice Award October 2014
- Schools encouraged to sign up to support breastfeeding
- Hypo Awareness Week
- Wellbeing and Mental Health Helpline
- PLACE Assessments Success
- Sept 2014 >
- Aug 2014 >
- Jul 2014 >
- Jun 2014 >
- World No Tobacco Day
- New support group for local mums
- Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) Support 2014
- Dementia talk at national conference
- Lancashire team lead the way in dementia research
- Lancashire team lead the way in dementia research - Dr Salman Karim
- Be Mindful
- Hear us Roar!
- Children and Families Team Wins National Award!
- Fylde and Wyre ' working together to support people with dementia
- 'You can do it!'
- Apr 2014 >
- Positive practice in mental health
- Opportunity for a local business
- Mental health helpline needs your help!
- Planting the seed for change
- Helpline for East Lancashire residents
- Watch the salt
- Parents receive NHS Excellence in Participation Award!
- Stop smoking service working to lead smokers to victory
- Free weight management programme
- New Chief Operating Officer Appointed
- 'Topping Out' at The Harbour
- System set to improve care
- Feb 2014 >
- Jan 2014 >
- Aug 2013 >
- Jun 2013 >
- May 2013 >
- Apr 2013 >
National NHS campaign launches in Lancashire urging people to stay well this winter
Posted on the 8th November 2016
Annually there are approximately 25,000 excess winter deaths