(expand submenu)

Cartoon image of four children


My Child - Speech and Language Therapy

My child is having difficulties talking:

If you are concerned about your child's Speech and Language development please follow the links below, which will allow you to check the progress of your child.

These three sites will also give you some helpful advice about improving your child's communication skills.

talking point logo
Words for life logo

I can logo

More really good websites you might like to explore:

The BBC have developed this excellent website called Tiny Happy People, to help you develop your child's communication skills. Explore their simple activities and play ideas and find out about your child's amazing early development.

Just select the picture to be taken directly to the website.

Why not watch the lovely videos they have made!

BBC tiny happy people logo

The Local Offer provides information for children and young people with special educational needs (SEND) and their parents or carers in a single place. It shows families what they can expect from a range of local agencies including education, health and social care.

Select the image to be taken to the website.

Lancashire local offer logo


Please select the image to be taken to a factsheet.  This factsheet aims to provide a description of the developmental stages observed around food and feeding in infants and young children. It also will give to helpful pointers and ways to support your child.


Image of mother feeding a child



Detailed below are helpful websites if your child has specific needs, however if you go to our 'how to help your child' page you will find lots more information:

My child has selective mutism:

SMIRA was set up initially to support families with selectively mute (SM) children. It also provides information to health and education professionals involved in the upbringing of such children and young people. It is intended to give those with SM, their parents and professionals an opportunity to feel less isolated and share ideas with others who have experienced similar problems in either home, school or treatment situations. Click on the link below to visit the website:

SMIRA logo

My child has a cleft palate:

The Cleft Lip and Palate Association (CLAPA) is a national charity dedicated to all those with and affected by cleft lip and/or palate in the UK. It supports families from the moment of diagnosis and helps them through any difficulties they have before and after the birth of their child. It provides a specialist feeding service as well as targeted information and a national network of trained volunteers providing one-to-one emotional support and local events and meet-ups. Click on the link below to visit the website:

Clapa logo

My child has a hearing impairment:

The National Deaf Children's Society is the leading charity dedicated to creating a world without barriers for deaf children and young people.

ndcs logo

My child has Down Syndrome:

This website will support you to find answers to questions that are often asked about Down's Syndrome. This information will help you to separate the facts from some common misconceptions. If you do not find what you are looking for you can ring their helpline and speak to one of their specialist advisors.

Dows syndrome association logo