Blackburn with Darwen
People with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF), Bronchiectasis, Interstitial Lung Disease (ILD), Pulmonary Hypertension or Chronic Asthma, can find it more difficult to do their normal day-to-day activities because of their breathlessness.
Getting short of breath can be very frightening and make you feel quite anxious which can make your breathlessness worse. You may find that you start to avoid doing activities and over time this can cause you to become less fit, more tired and more out of breath.
What is it?
Pulmonary rehabilitation is a lung education and exercise programme that is designed for people with breathing problems. Taking part will help you to manage your breathing, feel more confident, and improve your mood. You will also feel fitter and stronger and reduce your risk of chest infections and the likelihood of going into hospital.
By understanding your condition better, whether for example using your inhalers properly, recognising a flare-up and what to do and getting more active, you will gain better control of your lung condition and be able to improve your quality of life.
If you would like to see what our programme involves, please follow this link to watch the short video below:
NHS Choices Pulmonary Rehabilitation
What are the Benefits?
Pulmonary rehabilitation is very effective, with lots of research proving that it makes a real difference to patients' lives. After a course of pulmonary rehabilitation most people:
- can walk further and faster
- feel less breathless during routine daily activities
- feel more positive and better in themselves
- sleep better and have more energy
- have improved muscle strength in arms and legs
- have fewer chest infections and admissions to hospital
- have a better understanding of their medication and inhaler devices
- have an understanding of the benefit of exercise and how to safely exercise within their limits
Where the service is provided?
The Service is provided at various different venues across Blackburn with Darwen, you are welcome to give us a call (01254 283980) to find out more, plus there is an option of joining a live online programme from the comfort of your own home.
What will I have to do?
You will be invited to attend a personalised assessment at one of our venues where you will get to meet the team. We can also provide home visit appointments where appropriate.
Your first assessment is to find out more about you, your needs and your lung condition and how it affects you. We will then discuss with you a plan of care to enable you to manage your breathing condition today and in the future.
Feedback from our virtual PR patients
- 100% would recommend the virtual PR class to others! (comments: “yes if no face to face”)
- 100% stated they felt safe exercising online. (Comments: “I know I am being watched”, “always given alternative exercise if needed”, “always someone available to ring if needed”)
- 92% reported they felt the same physical benefits of exercise from Virtual PR as they did when they attend face to face. (Comments: “even better over virtual PR”, “feel a lot better, mobility improved”, “more in virtual PR”, “I push myself more”.)
- 83% reported that during lockdown the online session lessened the feeling of isolation
- 92% reported the online sessions improved their mental wellbeing
How to access this service?
If you are interested and registered with a GP in Blackburn or Darwen, you can simply ring the team on 01254 283980, or you can email us Pulm.firstname.lastname@example.org. Your GP, Practice Nurse or any other health or social care professional can also refer you to our team.
If you are unsure our service is right you, or would like to know more please give our team a call. You can even speak to people who have benefitted from the service so they can tell you about their experience.