School Nursing Service
The School Nurse service is available for any child, young person and their family aged 4 - 19 years.
School Nurses work in collaboration with schools, GP’ s youth services and many other community services to support the needs of children, young people and their families
Every school has a named School Nurse .You can ask the School Nurse anything: if they can’t help you they will try and find someone who can. The School Nurse can also listen to you if you are worried about being hurt by someone you know or who lives with you.
What we do?
- We work in Close Partnership with other organisations as well as Health and Education such as Children’s and Young Peoples Services, Private and Voluntary Organisations.
- We undertake Health Assessments for Looked After Children and referrals as appropriate.
- We offer support, advice and guidance to other professionals and parents on a variety of topics to do with health and wellbeing.
- We have a key role in Safeguarding vulnerable children and young people including children and young people who have special needs and who have been excluded from mainstream education.
- We offer training to staff and parents on how to manage specific health needs in school.
- We offer first level support in Child and Adolescent Mental Health issues and refer on as necessary.
- We have a key role in Public Health and contribute to the local and national programmes such supporting smoking cessation, tackling obesity, reducing teenage pregnancies, delivering immunisation programmes and much more...
How you get an appointment?
You can telephone the School Nursing team to get an appointment or you can get more information from Schools, GP and Youth services.
Contact your local team
Blackburn with Darwen
Darwen and Rural Team
Darwen Children’s Centre, Lord Street, Darwen, BB3 0HD
Tel: 01254 283 490
Blackburn East Team
Audley Children’s Centre, 185-187 Pringle Street, Blackburn, BB1 1SF
Tel: 01254 283 699
Blackburn West Team
Livesey All Age And Children's Centre Creche, Andrew Close, Blackburn BB2 4NT
Tel: 01254 283 030
Blackburn North Team
Little Harwood Children’s Centre, Robinson Street, Blackburn, BB1 5PE
Tel: 01254 283 060