Community Diabetes Team in Blackburn with Darwen
We are based at Barbara Castle Way Health Centre and provide support to adults with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes in several community locations and also support housebound patients in their own homes.
We are a multi-disciplinary team consisting of 3 Diabetes specialist Nurses, 1 Consultant in endocrinology (2 clinics a month), 1 GP with Special Interest in Diabetes (2 clinics a week) a dietitian, a link-worker (Urdu and Gujerati) and 2 educators. We also have psychology support from Mindsmatter weekly
Services we offer:
- Clinics for people with Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes
- Multi-disciplinary team clinics monthly - (DSN/GP/Dietitian/Minds Matter Educator)
- Post hospital discharge follow up and support
- Mentoring Practice Nurses and GP’s in their surgeries
- Education for Care Home and Nursing Home staff
- Support for District Nurses
- Insulin initiation and change of regime
- Hypoglycaemia reviews
- Practice Nurse Education – lunchtime meetings
- Home visits for housebound patients
- Link worker available in Urdu and Gujerati for Non English speaking patients
- Email support for patients in our service and Health care professionals
- Clinics are held at The Community Diabetes Clinic at Barbara Castle Way Health Centre and Darwen Health Centre, both centres have dietetic support
Education for people with Diabetes in Blackburn with Darwen
- DESMOND Blackburn with Darwen – group education over 1 full day or 2 half days courses are held in English or Urdu.
- Short course for newly diagnosed or people who require a refresher on Type 2 diabetes (2.5 hours).
- One to One education sessions in English, Urdu or Gujerati –these are follow up individual appointments or for people who prefer not to attend a group session.
Contact details for Barbara Castle Way and Darwen Health centres:
Barbara Castle Way Health Centre
Simmons Street, Blackburn, BB2 1AX
Tel 01254 283886
DESMOND education programme
Tel 01254 283886