Today, we are set to open our doors to a newly refurbished 12-bedded ward based in the heart of South Cumbria.
A full overhaul of Kentmere ward, based at Westmorland General Hospital in Kendal has now been completed and is open to service users.
The mental health in-patient unit, currently offers short-term recovery-based care, focused to meet the needs of individuals with mental health issues. This enables people to return to their communities, and allows them to regain their independence.
The refurbishment plans which were submitted in July 2021, has seen a complete overhaul of the current 12-bed unit.
The new ward will deliver:
- 12 en-suite modern bedrooms designed with the service user in mind to promote a safe and healing environment.
- An improved light and airy environment with lots of space for 1:1 discussions, cross team working and enhanced technology.
- Therapeutic activity and recreational spaces to ensure that all service users can engage in activities and occupational therapy to promote recovery
- A dedicated garden and courtyard area which leads directly from the communal areas of the ward to ensure service users can access fresh air.
- Dedicated staff spaces for a pleasant working environment
Amanda Housley, Director of Operations for The Bay said:
“We are really proud to see the plans come to life, with a complete refurbishment and refresh of our facilities, all designed with patients at the heart.
By providing safe and comfortable environments, we can ensure privacy and dignity for all those using this great resource. We hope that by making these improvements, we can help to empower and encourage individuals as they continue their recovery.
We can’t wait to welcome service users back through the doors of Kentmere. We hope they really get to feel the benefit of the changes we have made.”
To contact the centre, please call 01530 462 400.