Diabetes Community Team
We provide support to adults with Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes in several community locations and also support housebound patients in their own homes.
Please note: this service is only offered to people living in Blackburn with Darwen, Preston, Chorley and South Ribble.
We are a multi-disciplinary team consisting of:
- 3 diabetes specialist nurses
- 1 consultant in endocrinology
- 1 GP with special interest in diabetes
- 1 dietitian
- 1 link-worker (Urdu and Gujerati)
- 2 educators.
We also have psychology support from Mindsmatter weekly.
Services we offer
- Clinics for people with Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes
- Multi-disciplinary team clinics monthly
- Post hospital discharge follow up and support
- Urdu and Gujerati speaking link worker for non-english speaking patients
- Insulin initiation and change of regime
- Hypoglycaemia reviews
- Home visits for housebound patients
- Email support for patients in our service and health care professionals
- Mentoring practice nurses and GP's in their surgeries
- Education for care home and nursing home staff
- Support for district nurses
- Practice nurse education lunchtime meetings
Clinics are held at The Community Diabetes Clinic at Barbara Castle Way Health Centre and Darwen Health Centre, both centres have dietetic support.
Education for people with Diabetes in Blackburn with Darwen
Diabetes Education and Self-Management for Ongoing and Newly Diagnosed (DESMOND) is a free national diabetes structured education programme for people with Type 2 Diabetes, whether newly diagnosed or who have had their Diabetes for more than one year.
The aim of the programme is to increase an individual's knowledge of Type 2 Diabetes, share self-management skills, have a better understanding of poor glycaemic control and come away from the session with an understanding and empowerment to set clear, effective goals and improve their overall health and wellbeing.
Programmes run for a full day or 2 half days and are delivered to groups of up to 10, all attendees are welcome to bring a partner, friend or relative.
Programmes are delivered in English, Urdu or Gujarati.
If you would like to self-refer, please download, complete and post the self-referral form to:
Barbara Castle Way Health Centre,
Simmons Street, Blackburn,
This video is also available in:
This course is delivered by trained health care professional and is designed for people with a recent diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes, but can also be useful for those who feel they need a refresher. It is an informal and friendly group programme lasting about 2.5 hours in a variety of locations within Blackburn with Darwen.
We aim to help you to:
- Find out more about Type 2 Diabetes
- Meet other people in a similar situation to yourself
- Put your questions to the experts
The course covers many useful topics including:
- What is diabetes?
- Eating well with diabetes and dispelling myths
- Practical carbohydrate discussions
- Offer to book on the DESMOND course
For further information or to book please contact the team on 01254 283886.
We also offer one to one education sessions in English, Urdu or Gujerati, these are follow up individual appointments or for people who prefer not to attend a group session.
Blackburn with Darwen
Telephone: 01254 283 886
Barbara Castle Way Health Centre
DESMOND education programme
Preston, Chorley and South Ribble
Telephone: 01772 777 620
Minerva Health Centre